10/16/2023: Free Time Experiments

Over the course of the weekend, I went to a Fall Retreat hosted by my church, and went to a house that was RRRRIGHT by the Columbia River. I thought that would be a great opportunity to take some good photos expanding and trying out a variety of styles and messing with settings in a place outside of my hometown and class. I initially had trouble with the camera as my mom insisted I take hers instead of the school’s so if I lost it it wouldn’t be as detrimental.

The first night, while I was accommodating myself to the settings of my mom’s camera, I was playing around with ISO, Aperture, and TV to see what the camera could do, and this photo was the result of playing with longer exposure shots to see if I could get good smear effects, turned out great! As a plus, the light was flickering, which made the spaces between the smeared copies more uniform, it looks like a will-o’-the-wisp!

This was during the second morning of the first waking day there, we went outside to think about God and such, and I got finished fast, and started taking pictures of people, and I found my youth pastor in a good pose for a photo, and I decided to use a higher ISO to make the scene seem more like it was “bathed in a holy light”

First night at the place, I took a 30 second exposure shot to capture the mountains, and originally, I was only trying to capture the mountains with this long exposure time, but I noticed that the cars that were passing had their headlights smeared across the picture, and so I just HAD to find a good picture to show that off! I think it looks brilliant!!!

First waking day there again, I specifically asked someone to help me out with a shot, and she agreed, so I took her to the dock and asked for a variety of poses. This was actually the VERY FIRST SHOT, and I hadn’t tweaked the settings much, and I was moving the camera very shakily, but I honestly like how the blurriness adds to the photo, makes it look like a “found footage ghost story” almost!

Same person and time as the picture above. This picture was one of the few that was actually PROPERLY focused on her, or close enough to focused. I noticed that focusing on this camera was not as easy as the model from school, which made this photoshoot difficult. This photo was basically the only one properly focused and had my friend in an interesting position.

Overall, I think I can see my photography skills at work, at it really makes me happy to see that I’m at least DECENT at photography!

Be First to Comment