Photography 10/2, Most Influential Photos

The last known photo of a Tasmanian Tiger, a species which is now extinct. Seeing such a unique animal, yet knowing it will never exist again is such a juxtaposition for my brain. I get to see what humanity documented of this animal before it disappeared forever, knowing I’ll never see or hear one in person ever. This is it. This is all that remains…… It’s a really sad feeling

Neil Armstrong’s photo of a buddy on the mission to walk on the moon. The Space Race was one big test of humanity’s mastery over technology, physics, and cooperation. We got together and tried to each be the first ones to land on the moon, and eventually, the USA won. Looking at the surface of the moon, there’s nothing but black space stretching on forever in all directions, simply because there’s no atmosphere on the moon. The footprints never leave the surface as there’s no wind to disturb them, and the entirety of the time on it, you would have perfect silence…

“The Gadget,” Oppenheimer’s test device to try and create a working nuclear bomb. This is the device that helped end WWII, in a fiery inferno of raw unmatched atomic power, capable of leveling cities easily. This invention and marvel of engineering was what ended one war and started a colder one. It turned the tides in a way only Moses could have replicated on the seas. The whole invention was precision personified too, as every explosive in the device had to go off at THE SAME time, not even a micro-instant apart. One teeny error would cause The Gadget to not function correctly.

I find the first photo to be a reminder that what’s living must be preserved, the second a reminder that when we cooperate, we can achieve greatness, and the third just a terrifyingly powerful device that I love to nerd out about. They all have tremendous significance and historical importance, and they all have a story to tell in them

Be First to Comment